It’s been a very rainy day here so I’ve had time to carry on working on my outstanding sewing projects. Yesterday I worked on the embroidery for my Brit Quilt so today I started on finishing off the quilt top so that I can move on to the quilting. I have until the 1st July to finish the quilt but I suspect the quilting may take some time. I want to try out pebble quilting. I found a tutorial on the Handmade by Alissa blog – it’s basically a video of her doing the pebble quilting – I’m sure it’s not as easy as it seems on the video so I may need to do a bit of practice!
I have a pile of green and turquoise fabrics that I have been pulling together ready to make a scrappy border to frame the main picture. I did some layout try outs and went for a thin border as a thicker border seemed to detract from the picture. I really love how it accentuates the colours in the picture itself.
The problem is what to do next. Do I add another border of linen or just stay with this and just add some plain binding? What do you think? I really can’t decide.
I’ve also been trying to catch up on some overdue quilting bee blocks. Firstly my May block for the Sew Buzzy group. Innerpiece asked us all to make a house block of our own house with a white background.
I had to think for a while what to do. I live in a semi-detached house and I decided to just represent my half. I made the left hand side of the house straight so you could tell it was supposed to be attached to something else. It looks a bit wonky in the picture but it isn’t really…its just the way the linen distorts the fabrics when they’re laid out.
I needed to make the stained glass window that goes down the front of my house where the stairs are. This part of the house actually juts forward but making a 3-D effect was a step too far! I think the window has come out well and gives a feel of how the window is a graduation of rainbow colours. The real window goes from blue through to purple, red, orange and yellow. I didn’t have that colour range to select from but I did the best I could with what was in my pack. I hope Innerpiece likes it. Did you notice I even added a Patchwork Queen in the doorway!
The second block I worked on was my May block for the Calendar of Houses Bee. The block was for Lynnette who said that May reminded her of new plants, birds singing etc. I had some fab fabrics, from making my Patchwork Palace avatar and banner, which have a really springy feel with pink, yellow and spring green. I wanted to make the house look like a bit of an English Country cottage and I thought the yellow fabric looks a bit like a thatch.
I’ve still got lots of sewing to do. I have been trying to tidy some of my fabrics up this afternoon but no doubt by the end of the week I’ll have got them all out again. I find that having all the fabrics stacked up together often gives me inspiration for a project as a particular fabric catches my eye. I dont want to be inspired for any new projects right now…I really must finish some more!